Saturday 20 January 2018

Buying and selling

I used to sell cars, for dealers and privately. It could be a long and painful journey from start to finish. First you place an add, that took a week and sometimes longer. Then it would get to print but there were mistakes, or you sold it, or the price needed to be adjusted for work done. Then came the internet.
Thursday night at 4 pm I went to see a car, liked it and bought it. Got it home, plated and insured by 7:30. Then I needed to sell the one I was driving. Friday at 2:00 pm I posted an add to Craig’s List, got an email at 2:10, by 3:30 car was sold. It to was plated and insured and driven to the buyers home. I was dropped off at my home by 7:30 pm. 24 hours to do 2 deals completed privately is in my mind just crazy.
Why oh why do we need dealers?? Values are there for everyone to see, specs and problems are just a google search away. I think Tesla has it right, order on line and get it delivered to you. We don’t need to be paying all these middle men (and women) to do what we can do ourselves in relative ease. Kind of like Sears and other stores like them, just a big waste of time and added expense.
We are entering the speed warp of commerce now and it’s going to get even faster then my example.
Seven billion, getting what they want and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment