Monday 15 April 2013

NO you're not, YES I am

As soon as you declare you "are something" there will be an avalanche of comments that you are not that something. It's like living in a police state where you get jailed for saying anything negative about the said police state. When I tell people that I'm vegan, the attacks begin. You are wearing leather, or you eat bread that has an egg in it. You get my point I think, but it seems to be a never ending barrage of attacks by those that do nothing to improve this world. In the end, no one is "anything" as that is pretty much impossible to achieve. 
Religion is a good example, are all Catholics really Catholics? If so why do so many priests abuse children? Are atheists really atheists? I suspect that they do believe in something spiritual, how can you not?
So I am going to invent a new "thing" to be, I will call it "Sustainable Rationalist". And the rules to be a S.R. are going to be whatever I decide "fits" at the time. Because that is pretty much what all these other organizations do is make the rules fit what you want them to be. For sure being a "Sustainable Rationalist" will give me lots of wiggle room to make compromises as I live my life.
7 billion, being rational, and counting. lol

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS POST!! LOVE THE S.R TAG! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about this, Miles. It's so easy to attack a person for a perceived hypocrisy, and it happens all the time. It feels so satisfying and appears so devastating when you bust someone on a hypocritical faux pas, but I think that I would subscribe to your thinking on this. If someone has seriously considered, say, religion, picked out the good bits for them while ignoring what they don't like, then good on them. It shows more thought and engagement than the fundamentalist followers who don't critically examine anything.

    ReplyDelete