Tuesday 18 June 2013

Sports like hockey

I witnessed what can only be described as the most sickening video ever of a 16 year old hockey player getting beat up so bad he had a two black eyes, a broken nose and a concussion. Laying on the ice unable to defend himself he was hit ten times with roundhouse punches that would make you squirm in your seat. The parents were there as they filmed all his games and had to watch in horror as their son got this beating.
They took this video to the police and showed it to the league officials who basically said, "it's part of the game" and they should go on with their business. They did however suspend both the puncher and the poor kid who did not partake in any way in this fight. The police are not taking this seriously and it looks like it will end up under the rug. Even a lawyer who has taken on cases like this said it would go nowhere in court.
It has made me very glad I never put my own son in this game, but then it occurred to me that the parents of this boy could take him out of it as well. They never once said anything like this. If the brutality of the game is not to your liking then walking away is the right thing to do. These sports are all getting out of hand, taking shots to the head by well conditioned athletes is doing real damage. Most of these kids will never play professional and are risking brain trauma just to play a game! Then there is the "overprotection of players" that is happening. Little league players with so much protection on they can barely move.
All I know for sure is that this is going to stop one day, there will be a death so gruesome it will kill these leagues with lawsuits up the ying yang. I'm just glad this was not me at this game, as I would be in jail for taking revenge on someone involved. I know I would have gone off the deep end if that was my kid getting beat up, further showing why I'm sick of the game and not interested in watching it anymore. For the record, I played a lot of hockey when I was young, and loved the sport till I was signed for "rep hockey" when the fun was taken out of it for me. I stopped playing at 14 years old and do not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment