Thursday 18 July 2013

Technology

Because I always had to fix all the computers in our house I was always surfing the tech scene looking for tips and new software. It served me well while I kept our "windows machines" running at a respectable level of reliability. But then Apple comes along with a smart phone and wrecked everything.
For the record, I switched to Apple not long after the phone hit the shelves. I used up my credit at Rogers to get one for my daughter who was in university. She said she played with it for the entire first night she had it. I of coarse was proud that she could at last get her emails on the spot like all the boys with Blackberry devices. They made the mistake of rubbing it in and so she went zooming past them with what has clearly become the best thing to happen in tech, iOS!
It was clear to me early on just how great this operating system was, that all the years I avoided Apple were just the hype I believed in the press. Microsoft was very good at putting a "spin" on their crap, and crap it was!
Anyways I didn't want to dwell on this "windows iOS" war too much, what I wanted to do was point out just how fast the tech section in the news has become irrelevant. I find it repulsive to read anymore as all that is written is about what phone is bigger or cheaper or does this or does that. And Google Glass has been in the news now for a year, every day some mention of it is there. It was the tech writers that brought Apple back to earth after it passed $700 a share. Yep, you can not believe anything written there any more. All they do is smear each other, no more well written pieces on great software, just ads for or against one operating system or the other. The only thing I enjoyed was watching Microsoft buckle at the knees as the PC market disappeared. Apple did show us what a good system was, and continues to improve it. However others are building out good systems now as a result. This has made the technology sections in the news, well it isn't worth reading anymore. They should change the tittle to tech ads or the phone wars section, anything but news as their is very little of it anymore.
7 billion, just using the tech, and counting

No comments:

Post a Comment