Friday 2 August 2013

The Garden

It has been a busy time of late, the garden is producing and I'm enjoying the fruits and vegetables of my labor. And good they are! The peas are almost done, our current household of 4 has been stripping them as fast as they ripen. I dug up my first potatoes, wow is all I can say on that. When you cut these gems they snap louder then an apple, and today our first salad with all garden ingredients including our first tomatoes.
 For me the world stops when I am eating from my garden. There is nothing, well almost nothing, that beats eating from the backyard. Yet so few do. I see elaborate flower gardens that for sure are more labor intensive then my raised bed vegetable garden. Don't get me wrong, I love flowers too. I have 30 feet of sweet peas planted as well, but you can't eat them. And really, veggies can look as cool as many flowers. At any rate, I've had lots of complements this year and so far the food is incredible. After eating a cherry tomato today I got shivers down my body for  a very intense experience.
This has become more then a passion, it's become a sustainable living experience that I have started to master. The full circle of life is happening right in my suburban home.
It is easy to loose sight of what is important, to think of all the distractions that are there for us in the world. But growing the food we eat? Being able to do this with ALL the info available on our wireless devices has become easier, if you really care about your health, and what you consume then growing some food is the ticket you need to purchase.

1 comment:

  1. Just talked to the city of Ottawa about reclaiming all the old cement grow boxes that are laying around the city unused and got the go ahead to grow veggies in them! Starting on three next week.. one small step! Also the reactions I get from my little garden outside the apartment are vast. People from all ages stop on the street to come venture over and ask what it is I am doing. Sometimes I feel like I have more impact doing that than what I am doing at my desk!

    ReplyDelete