Tuesday 12 March 2013

Spring up

This week I will be starting my garden, but wait the snow is still on the ground! Well I made myself a promise to grow everything from seed this year, and so the tomatoes get started now and soon a few others. When I moved back into the family home I decided at the last minuet to grow a garden. It was a trial and error kind of thing as I had never really grown one before. I had pretty good success and we lived off of it for a few months. Being a vegan motivated me to get into this and it has consumed me.
But now after reading and experiencing this wonderful pastime I'm prepared to really do well this year. I have my worms cranking out the compost, and will be starting an outdoor compost pile as soon as it warms up. I've decided to raise all my beds and grid them out as in "Square Foot Gardening"(Google it) and have everything going vertical rather then all over the place. Growing food has to be the most rewarding thing you can do, and with all the help on line it is far easier then ever to do this.
We only have 3 in the house but I plan to grow for 10. At last the local food bank will now accept fresh produce. I want to give back and giving this kind of food makes me feel real warm and fuzzy. Please check with your own local food bank to see if they to will accept fresh produce. People living on this kind of help do not get the nutrition they need, as they end up with dry goods to eat. Getting good nutrition to these people in need is vital. So if like me, you are growing a successful and large garden, please share it with those that need.
I thank you! Miles

1 comment:

  1. You give me warm fuzzies. This is fantastic... We need to show others how easy it can be to share!!! Way to go Dad. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete