Friday 25 January 2013

The Future

Today I'm going to lay out my predictions for the future. My opinions are just that, and I won't any sleep over a bad prediction.
Wi-Fi. This will be the service that will dominate future connections to the web. And it will be free, well mostly free. This can't come soon enough for me, I know I'm not alone in hating the cell phone companies! But their towers are VERY inefficient and they cost way too much. Most homes are already wired for internet, so it seems to me that this will stretch out. If every home had a public Wi-Fi and a private one we would be able to walk down the street and never lose a signal. I feel bad for the cell phone companies, hahahaha

3 D printing. This will come quickly I think. But this tech is off the charts in disruption potential. This tech could literally wipe out thousands upon thousands of jobs. And there isn't a thing anyone can do to stop it. I will put up only one example, printing houses with a large 3D printer. Truly this device would solve pretty much all the worlds housing problems and do it cheaply. This is just the tip of what it will do. And these devices are already in test mode, just you wait and see what this will do!

Direct Investing. Stock traders beware, the future will bring direct investment to your living room. Like Shark Tank and Dragons Den you will be able to invest directly with start-ups by-passing stock brokers  altogether. This would make for a great retirement job, buying and selling stakes in small companies. I for one want this now!

Now these 3 examples are enough to trigger your imagination as to what is coming. It is going to be cool and exciting and scary all at the same time. Personally, I'm excited.


1 comment:

  1. Cool! And I've been told your record at predicting the future is pretty darn solid.

    Wifi - I've also been told you've been saying this one for awhile. I wonder how this will develop. And the lovely cell phone companies will definitely fight hard to keep what they have.

    3D Printing - Absolutely with how distruptive it could be. Like you say jobs are a big thing but also just how messy the legalities surrounding them could become. How do you enforce copyright and patent rights when any person is able to remake products in their own house? Where does the current gun control debate go once people can manufactuer basic firearms themselves? Will businesses start selling supplies and plans for a product rather then the products themselves? Even though its going to be a gradual process its going to happen quick enough that there are going to be some major problems created from this. But man there's gonna be some cool stuff once we figure all the junk out.

    Direct Investing - Don't be surprised to see Max dominating both sides of this one day!

    In terms of more future stuff here's a long but cool article on Siri that my favorite Apple family will probably find cool - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/siri-do-engine-apple-iphone_n_2499165.html

    ReplyDelete