Tuesday 19 February 2013

Holiday Weekends

As yesterday was a holiday I felt compelled to write another post. I'm not sure why though, do I feel guilty for having an extra day to myself. Was I concerned that the economy would suffer, or that some one would go into withdrawal.
We had a funeral this weekend and my older brother that I had not talked to for many years stayed with me at my house. It was just a weekend but we had some interesting talks. One thing that came up was the lost productivity of holidays like the one we were enjoying. He thought it was disgusting to have all these meaningless long weekends and lamented on how much money was lost due to them. Yep, a true republican, maybe bordering on the Tea Party.
To me I have to ask, how do you lose money because of these things? Does everybody not eat that day? Do they all park their cars? Do all the stores close their doors? He never worked a blue collar job and I think many like him have not as well. Because then he would know just how punishing bosses can be to make up for lost time! But then you read how much a snow storm has cost the local economy and how difficult it was for everyone to get to work the next day, even though the roads were closed and power was out, people were compelled to try to go to work. Is this what life has come to? Get to work by any means necessary as the company is "losing money" without you there. Pleaseeeeeeeee!
I have a solution to this problem, stretch one year into two. Have birthdays, anniversaries parades and such every other year. Lets face it, there are not many days left on the calendar where we can have another special holiday. Think of the gains in productivity, Christmas every other year! We would all be half as old! LOL

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, my pops has drifted pretty far to the right. I'm really glad that he took you up on your offer of a place to stay, though. Life's way too short to hold grudges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your on to something Dad! Keep pushing the dream!
    As an economist I think everyone should cut their work day in half and share it with all the unemployed. That way we have full employment, maintain a nice sustainable productivity rate, and have double the holdiays to take care of our mental health, get to know our families, laugh, have hobbies, think more, feel more, etc.

    ReplyDelete