Thursday 7 February 2013

The Worms and the Bees

One of my top pet peeves is what our kids are learning in school. It would seem that they learn about everything but what they need to know to survive. If you have not seen this TED TALK, it is a must. Here is proof of what kids get excited about, what gets them motivated and what in my opinion is a very cool education.
Stephen Ritz: A teacher growing green in the South Bronx
I've seen this Ted 5 times and it has never failed to make me laugh and cry. Mr Ritz is a special kind of teacher in a special kind of place. I could only dream of this happening in our upper middle class city.
But then it hit me, if sex education is so taboo maybe we should teach kids about the "worms and the bees instead". I'm sure they would love it and if they were raising worms in class their would be a potential for revenue from the compost.
I can see it now, kids bringing scraps to school for the worm farm, recycling their lunches and such. Then they need to grow some things, imagine, going to school and learning how to feed yourself! How did we get off track on this. Summer holidays were meant for the kids to go home and help their families run the farms. Now they could go home and help run the urban gardens we all need to grow.
This is a movement I could get behind.
7 billion and counting

No comments:

Post a Comment