Wednesday 27 February 2013

Liking things

It's pretty bad when you have to like your own pieces on Facebook. But that is what I did yesterday, I didn't plan it out, I was just curious to see how many people would read it if I did. Now I wonder how many will come back for more? Hmmmmmm.
I think I overuse the like button, as it tugs on my wanting to be more social, more accepted by my friends and family. There was a time when I would never do that. I still feel it sometimes but have "caved in" to being polite. And hey, it's not that bad I guess, as there are things I do actually like! Maybe what's bothering me is that my reputation is slipping, that I'm conforming more. The very act of joining Facebook brings up that feeling, and is likely the reason many do not join up from my generation. That somehow we have"compromised" our reluctance to be seen in public as civil human beings. I remember everyone I knew as being rebellious, not wanting to conform, not sure where they all went. I know that for many getting a job became a little more important, raising a family and such.
But do they really "like"it?

1 comment:

  1. Such a good piece. Everyone feels this way and none of us will admit it.

    ReplyDelete