Friday 15 February 2013

Love Is, love is, what you want it to be

Valentines day, one wonders how Feb 14 was chosen for a day dedicated to love. Most in the northern hemisphere are in deep depression from a long and cold winter. It must have something to do with the rose's growing cycle.
At any rate I have been reading a number of articles and have watched a few shows in the last couple of days relating to this very difficult subject. As I have gotten older I have looked on with a much different view to relationships with the opposite sex. Now before I go further the "opposite sex really means someone to love", I'm not trying to diss on gay relationships as I do not have a problem with that, but with the "love thing" that everyone seems to be wanting.
Are we really wanting a life time commitment? Is it not just a "lustful" thing we have for each other? And then there is the "mutual appreciation" that many feel for one another.
If you have not seen this new show on Netflix, House of Cards, I want to suggest that the relationship the two main characters have is as cool as I've ever seen portrayed. They sleep in the same bed, but do not attach sex to the relationship. They are committed to each other "intellectually" and it would seem to be a very cool way of being married. They make no bones about it, and do not care what anyone thinks of this arrangement. I think they get it right.
For most what starts out as a powerful lust ends up with what are we doing with each other. One moment you can't get enough of each other then bam, who the hell are you? But by then you are married with kids and a house maybe, and well it is nothing but a very big mess. For many this is the end of life as we knew it. Careers are shattered, happiness disappears and life becomes one big hellhole. What a way to live! It really is ironic don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Did us three take away your happiness Dad?!

    Ha I'm kidding, I know what you meant...although shattering and ironic it is very funny and special when your going through that hell with someone. What more intellectually/emotionally/physically challenging than being a parent. Then you have to add in there that you are doing this with a partner - makes me wonder how anyone gets through it... but we do and some do FANTASTIC JOBS! (cough you and Mom!!) And I love that part. Maybe even enough to have a rugrat of my own someday in the far distant future... likely not but we will see!

    ReplyDelete