Wednesday 13 February 2013

It's your brain at work

I'm almost 2 years into being tobacco free. For 43 years I sucked up ciggs like candy. If I even thought about quitting I would light up even more!
But since quitting I've noticed this same behaviour in many other things. For example the article in the New York Times that trashed the Telsa S electric car. I see this behaviour in many people," please, don't take away my precious car". The brain goes on the attack, kill that electric thing, stop it at all costs! No matter how much logic there is in getting rid of the infernal combustion engine people will do the craziest things to defend it. I mean they are growing corn just so they can make some ethanol to run these engines. Logic just doesn't get through. The brain goes into it's "non logical mode" where wasting and destroying does not faze it a bit. This is where I found out how to quit smoking. I realized that my brain was highjacking my reason centre and I became determined to take back control, which I did without any aids what so ever.
I'm vegan, and I see the same reaction in meat eaters when I tell them" I don't eat dead animals". You can see the fear in there eyes as they contemplate not eating meat. But some do see the logic, but do not risk offending their peers. The brain will make any excuse to resist this kind of change, just like smoking. This part of the brain has built up all these associations and will come up with any excuse to keep you from the "logical side". If I was religious this would be the battle between god and the devil.
To change it I used the "delete button" every time an association linking these things came up. It's a work in progress but I have had success and will never have a cigarette again.

No comments:

Post a Comment